https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi5CJEw_XW8aQo3kgNSvUyxe-3_rFPI9-sfD0tnagdCHVIPRsXEIK5PV0xen-pP1n7a5wjj3eFGE50td91Z4Ac-0ljJOEEd0UaQcF5oBOl2uOM2Y3fW-qL6-elHvcKX0_GErY9YqjT98cww/s72-c/002.jpg

My First Week in Uganda

© 2018 The Nation Foundation My First Week in Uganda By: Natalia Santana On Monday July 2nd 2018, I arrived to Uganda for my...
© 2018 The Nation Foundation


My First Week in Uganda

By: Natalia Santana


On Monday July 2nd 2018, I arrived to Uganda for my third time. Those feelings I had the second I walked out of that airport were all so familiar. I felt at home! One of my favorite human beings came to welcome me at Entebbe airport, Master Hassan, one of the sweetest friends I made during my first trip as a volunteer in Uganda. During our ride to Kikaaya College, Hassan and I caught up on all that has taken place since I last visited. We took the new highway, which now takes us only an hour to get from the airport to Kikaaya rather than 2 hours. As we drove through the highway I was amazed at this new road that looked better than the ones in New York. I felt hopeful for Uganda, and optimistic that every time I am to come back, new development will occur. We passed the new highway and then I realized that it was not even open to the public, and yet there are drivers using it as if it was an active road; now this is the Uganda I know!

An hour later, I arrived to Kikaaya College and the welcoming was unimaginable.  Everyone greeted me as if I was a family member who came back after months of being away from home. After I saw all of my students I met the group of volunteers I would be working with this summer,  Carole, Yuki, Marko, and Jason. The bond was incredible! I've never met a group of people for the first time and felt as if I've know them for quite a while. We spent the night playing cards and chatting about our experiences so far is East Africa. It was an unforgettable first night back to my second home. Unfortunately we had to say goodbye to Carole and Jason my first week back, but we welcomed Luegi from the UK, and we all shared an incredible weekend in Kampala which allowed us to get to know each other better. I think that's what makes this volunteer program extra special, not only am I helping make a difference to the kids at Kikaaya College,  but I've had the opportunity to bond with people from all over the world who share the same passion.


© 2018 The Nation Foundation

As of now, thats been a summary of my first week back in Uganda. Not much has changed from my first and second time here; Kampala is still chaotic, traffic is nonstop, but the people remain humble, welcoming,  and open to all of TNF volunteers that join us each year.




2 comments:

  1. Dear Nathalia,

    You have real struggling much to equip up our young generations in African countries and world's to realize the importance of Education and to become much better in the field sector.

    I understand that the Nation Foundation Volunteers styles will expand to many East Africa states as well as other African countries. if you could allow us to join you too.I wish you may extend this program to South Sudan so that We could see NF's good initiative services our perished children's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to be part of the volunteers but I saw it is only for teaching. What can I do to be part of it in other area

    ReplyDelete