https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiCIpEVkPGBseUB3k6pn75b5hXTnm8eIiCzNhQe87FaE9oWRMd71D4Tq0RLcLBjZFHqv1EDohWdDJqo86bY35G_iVtGNHiX8nJKH1yDCx8ZwgHK-Lj342oSQTUHTyLPPmaydUnVS0JRWxPD/s72-c/001.jpg

My First Day in Uganda

Nation Foundation Volunteer: Florencia with Kikaaya Students  My First Day In Uganda By: Florencia Spirito I came to Uganda a...
Nation Foundation Volunteer: Florencia with Kikaaya Students 

My First Day In Uganda

By: Florencia Spirito

I came to Uganda after traveling for three months throughout East Africa. I volunteered and taught at a number of schools as well as with community organizations throughout the region. I had many successful experiences there, so I was expecting something similar at the Kikaaya School…but at the same time I was anxious! I had been doing many volunteers projects all over the world and you never know how your host is going be until you get there, no matter how much research and dual diligence you do. I arrived to Kampala by bus coming from Kenya, a travel distance of 7 hours that took me more than 14 hours.. heavy rain all the way through, my backpack completely wet, and a reverberating feeling of frustration… I wasn’t sure if the guy from Kikaaya was still waiting for me at the bus stop after the huge delay! Finally, I arrived at the bus coach station, and Diego, a staff member from Kikaaya School, recognized me, and after five minutes of chatting we began a friendship that will last a lifetime. More than 2 months later after my arrival in Kampala, our friendship will continue no matter which part of the world we both will be. After rescuing me from the bus coach station, we took a taxi, and 40 minutes later we arrived at the Kikaaya School. Diego introduced me to Charles, the school Director, and also introduced me to some of the teachers. All of them helped me with my bag, we shared lunch, ihad a bunch of great conversation, and suddenly everything began to flow naturally. My first day was a mix of frustration at the beginning transformed into joyfulness after I arrived to Kikaaya, knowing the people where I was going to spend the next month (spoiler alert: I was planning to stay one month and at the end I spent more than two)!

My second day I worked with the main headteacher and the agriculture teacher (I teach agro-ecology in Kikaaya, but that is for another post). I presented to them my professional background, my lesson plans, and discussed ideas together. We have been collaborating on a number of projects ever since! They always have helped me with any of my concerns, and continuously share their experiences as teachers (for more than 30 years!), or talking to me about Messi (Argentinian like me) and football. 

The next day I start teaching, my first class was at Senior 3, more than 40 students of 15-16 years old looking at me quite suspicious. I introduce myself, broke the ice, and start talking about agro-ecology.. a subject completely new for all of them. But not even the subject or the language differences between us (they Luganda, me Spanish) was a problem, we were all so interested in getting to know each other and begin learning from one another. I soon learned that the days in Kikaaya don't end after classes at 4pm. 






My first days in the School I heard drums and kids singing, the sounds coming from somewhere I didn’t know. My third day, after my last class at Senior 2, two students (Aisha and Mary, two of my good friends now) invited me to join them at the music, dance and drumming class at the main hall in the School. For me it was difficult to express with words what I felt the first time I participated in the music class. The music coming from the drums played by the students, girls dancing and other singing, was such a special moment for me, full of Uganda mystic that I will keep forever in my heart. Since then, I’ve been attending the music class whenever I can, learning how to play drums and taking videos to share Uganda roots with other people in the world. 

But my first week in Uganda was not only lessons and music, my second day I met Metro, a 'mamma Africa' taking care of the girls at the boarding section. She is the one in charge of my meals, always concerned about what I like or dislike, if I eat meat or if I like tea. And now, after more than two months and after sharing most of my suppers with her at her place (I help her cook beans for the next day, we drink tea, and chat about how the days are going), I feel her as my 'mamma Africa also, always ready to give me food or a hug, depending what I need first after a long day of work.

So, my first week in Uganda was full of new names, faces, colors, sounds, smells, words, hugs, curiosity, and smiles …nothing compared with my previous experiences in East Africa. All my concerns disappeared after one hour of being in Kikaaya School. I felt part of Kikaaya family since I got here!




No comments:

Post a Comment